Monday, February 25, 2008

Small Comforts

The most important aspect to managing chronic pain is figuring out what you need. In a lot of little ways, you can make your days easier to get through on those days when getting through is the best you can hope for. I keep a sock and a small pillowcase full of dried rice in the freezer (they also make excellent hot packs when microwaved). There is a pillow in the chair where I always sit and a blanket on hand (because I get cold easily). I keep a lot of pillows around me, because I can manipulate them into soft support so that I am in the least-uncomfortable position I can manage. Other people might always need a hard chair or a hard surface.

What's on your feet may also be important to your general comfort. DH's stepmother recommended the 2oz. Miracle by Profoot, an insert I like a lot. A lot of Fibromyalgia patients have oddly-shaped feet (often causing or caused by Morton's Foot or Morton's Neuroma), requiring orthotics or well-fitted supportive shoes. I hate the feel of shoes on my feet and generally feel better barefoot, but as that's generally impossible (work, errands, and a very short summer have conspired against me here), good insoles help some, not only with foot pain but with leg and back pain.

What makes you feel good? Is there a "trick" you use, or a certain type of mattress or chair you can't live without?

2 comments:

tammy said...

I also keep pillows and blankets at my favorite sitting spot at home. Shoes are my enemy, however;I tolerate them by wearing "The World's Sofest Socks" which can be purchased off the interet at that same site. Flip-flops or backless shoes are my friends.
Tammy

Jack Weber said...

Thanks, Tammy! I'll look in to those--I have made a trademark of wearing bright, colorful socks for various reasons, not the least of which is that I buy toe socks when I can because I hate the feeling of having my toes cramped together. I know what you mean about flip-flops--I adore Okabashi sandals--but living in AK put the kibosh on that habit.