Saturday, February 02, 2008

Menthol and other topical analgesics

I have cervical disc disease among my other problems. I'm far overdue for a cortisone shot, having had to reschedule twice. I slapped a menthol patch on it, and it feels cold deep down. Cold is better than pain in this case (in my fingers, below about -15F, cold IS pain). When I have really bad sore spots, I find some temporary relief of the worst pain using Salonpas patches or the blue ice gel. Both have menthol as the only active ingredients and both are dirt cheap at your local mass merchandiser.

There are a lot of other topical analgesics, with active ingredients including:
  • camphor
  • salicylates
  • eucalyptus oil
  • cinnamon
  • various forms of mint
  • capsaicin (the compound that makes chile peppers hot)
  • lidocaine and other numbing/anesthetic agents (EMLA is in this group)
  • NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Corprofen)
  • eucalyptus oil
Some of these may be very effective for you. Some may not work at all. Some may cause you serious reactions. When trying any new topical medicine, it is important to remember that it is medicine (even if it's all natural/herbal) and is entering your body. If you take any medicine orally that's related to or that has known negative interactions with an ingredient in a topical medicine, do not use that medicine even if you do not think it can be harmful (did you know it was possible to OD on eucalyptus oil?) Even if you are not worried about interactions, try any new topical medicine on a small patch of skin (a small dab, rubbed out to about the size of a quarter/2cm diameter) on your forearm or other inconspicuous spot. If you want to be properly cautious, wait 24 hours. If the area turns red or rashy or starts burning in that time period, you don't want to use this medicine. If the smell of the medicine makes you feel bad (worse than simply "smelling something unpleasant"), don't even do the test--you may have a severe allergy to an ingredient. I have a severe allergy to cinnamon; a friend of mine used a topical containing cinnamon on my husband and I had a bad allergic reaction from smelling it across the room. I've been doing better with airborne cinnamon on Zyrtec, but I still would not put it on my skin.

To sum up, topical medicines can be helpful for chronic pain, but be as cautious in their use as you would with any new medicine.

No comments: