Friday, June 27, 2008

Weekend Updates (Personal)

The other day, driving home, there was some strange cloud cover. One of the clouds seemed to reach for the ground, pulling away from the cloud bank like taffy. The sun, invisible behind the cloud from where I sat, turned the column into an opaque rainbow. As Kermit says, "rainbows are... only illusions," but this one seemed more real and solid than others. A less pragmatic person might have seen it as a sign of some sort; it was lovely for itself without any portent.

A couple managers found my blog this week (separately and coincidentally). One of them suggested I get a medical note and then could wear my Crocs. I remembered to do that when I called to make an appointment to discuss the possible benefits (and drawbacks) of a reduction. I mentioned that on Reddit and started a controversy I didn't expect. I try to be matter of fact, but the truth is, I get defensive about all this online as well as when dealing with medical professionals. I don't want to be judged by my conditions or other people's assumptions about the ways I deal with them, when all I am doing is what anyone is doing: trying to do my best to get through this life as well as I can.

My leg is finally a little better after the procedure--I have an ache, but not the same level of stiffness and limping on that side. The shoes made a difference, too, I think. Today was movie day again, but we walked to the store for some snacks so we'd at least not totally vegetate for the day. Lord of the Rings: The Complete Extended Trilogy is an interesting marathon if you're a bunch of geek girls who are willing to make slash-fic jokes about the characters. I'm still behind on housework from being a little less mobile than I would have liked this week, but I have Monday, Wednesday, and Friday off this next week, so I will try to catch up on some tidying-up and laundry then.

No comments: