Monday, June 23, 2008

Some days I'm not feeling it.

The end of last week got weird. I had a lot of calls, a lot of appointments, and a lot of things happening at once (of which nothing has come yet, but that's not the point). One was the patient advocate getting involved. I emailed a history and haven't heard back yet.

I went to the pain clinic dr. on Friday. He did do a shot in L-5:S-1, and to Triwest's credit, it was approved by this morning. I wasn't expecting a shot without Tricare preapproval, so I had to go get things for my husband afterward. By the time I got home, I was pretty swollen and bruised. I still have a pretty serious limp.

I have a new casual diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my fingers. The only "new" option he could suggest was the Black-Box-Warning-Labeled Celebrex, which I am willing to try if a doctor really wants to go there, but with my history of NSAID allergies, I can't even try it when there's no other adult home unless they'd like to monitor me in a clinical setting. What do you do for this without meds? Ice doesn't help with stiffness--it can cause it--but I've been using ice water hand baths when swelling/pain get too bad for some very temporary relief.

Last night I started crying for no really good reason but that I missed my guys and I was in pain and tired and lonely for a bit. Today I'm still feeling rather down.

Like I said, I am still limping, but I did walk up to the post office and then mow the lawn just ahead of it starting to sprinkle out. I could hear but not see the Thunderbirds practicing for the air show all day, but they seem to be done now. Mowing the lawn gives me both a sense of sadness/loss and a sense of accomplishment; on one hand, I am getting things done, and on the other, I hate mowing down wildflowers, which is all dandelions really are. They're pretty and sunny and yellow; what more can you ask? And I think I said before that the better option environmentally would be to leave lawns alone to grow; we'd save a lot of gas nationwide, cut tons of greenhouse gas emissions, and have more naturally-growing plants recycling the air. But rules are rules, you know, so mow I do.

I have a lot more to do here and Friday is movie day again (Lord of the Rings marathon!). Hopefully I'll get this place in shape by then.

No comments: