Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sacred

Edit: It's not a wart--just a nasty splinter and an overreacting immune system.

So, I have a plantar wart. I had an HPV infection of this type over 20 years ago--my sister and I had warts on our toes, having been infected at the swimming pool by my grandmother's house. Anyway, this time the pool may have been involved again; at any rate, that's where the symptoms started. I thought a rock or splinter may have become embedded in my foot, but when after 3 days it was clear that it wasn't behaving as a splinter (and it hurt like mad to walk, being on the exact spot in the middle of my heel that bears most of my weight when standing or walking), I went to have it looked at. Naturally, the clinic is short providers, so I had to go to urgent care in town; by the time they diagnosed it but couldn't treat it, it was too late for me to get a referral from the clinic, so I have to wait until Monday to get treatment in the works.

The genius doctor assured me that this kind was not contagious or transmissible, but of course, a quick Google assures me that it can be, even if not extremely so. (actually, that link suggests to me that the pool is a likely culprit). Anyway, because it is in a spot that is causing my whole heel to become irritated, I was told that I was under no circumstances to do water aerobics until I get this treated, and I should stay off it as much as possible. Since I work on my feet, that wasn't an option; I asked what else I could do. I have to pad the area as well as possible--this means surgical pads and tape, then thick padded socks, then insoles in my shoes.

I'm generally known for my awesome funky socks. I'm used to new things going wrong with me, well, pretty much all the time. But man, padded, diabetics' socks? Don't mess with my socks. Some things are sacred.

No comments: